Like many churches in Turin, the Santa Croce Church was designed by Filippo Juvarra.
Santa Croce Church Turin
Address: Via Accademia Albertina, 11 – Torino. Phone: +39 011 8121377. Opening times: From 08.00 till 12.00 and from 15.00 till 19.00. Entrance fee: Free.
History and description
When the Santa Croce Church was constructed, the convent had already been in existence for quite some time. Juvarra started its construction in 1718 and the convent had been built in 1678, as part of the eastern expansion of the city near the Piazza Carlina.
The convent, which is officially called Canonichesse Lateranensi Regolari dell’Ordine di Sant’Agostino, was meant for the education of young girls of aristocratic descent.
Juvarra’s floor plan was elliptical, with a prespytery and a deep choir.
The campanile, with its spiral top, was added in the late 18th century. It was constructed by Giovanni Battista Borra.
The facade was finished in 1898.
In 1904 the convent became property of the city.
Juvarra was also responsible for the internal decorations of the church.