The Santa Felicità Church in Florence is one of the oldest churches in the city. The principal reason for vising this church is a number of paintings by Pontormo in the Cappella Barbadori-Capponi.
Santa Felicità Church Florence
Address, opening hours and entrance fee
Address: Costa San Giorgio, 3/Piazza Santa Felicita, 3 – 50125 Florence. Telephone: +39 055213018. Entrance fee: Free. Opening hours: From 09.30 to 12.30 and from 15.30 to 17.00.
The Santa Felicità Church is located in a district where many Greek immigrants have lived since the 2nd century. They also imported the Christian faith in Florence.
The first version of the Santa Felicità Church was already there in the 4th century AD.
The present church dates from the first half of the 18th century and was designed by Ferdinando Ruggieri.
The famous Vasari Corridor goes through the facade of the Santa Felicità Church.
Members of the Medici family could see mass in this church through a large window without being seen by the common people.
The interior consists of a single nave. Before the renovation in the 18th century, there were three of them. In total there are eight chapels.
On the square in front of the church there is a large granite column with an Ionian capital.
The most famous works of art in this church are located in the first chapel on the right.
This Barbadori-Capponi Chapel houses two paintings by the Mannerist painter Jacopo Pontormo, the “Annunciation of the Lord” and the “Descent from the Cross” (1528).
The figure on the far right (except for Jesus the only one in fairly inconspicuous clothing) is a self-portrait of the painter.
In the sacristy, Taddeo Gaddi‘s painting of the “Madonna with Child and Saints” is particularly striking. The “Adoration of the Magi” was painted in 1450 by Francesco di Antonio.