The Sanctuary of Santa Maria Ausiliatrice is located in the Valdocco district in Turin. It was built at the behest of Don Giovanni Bosco. Initially constructed between in the 19th century, the basilica was enlarged between 1934 and 1942, in occasion of the canonization of Don Bosco.
Santa Maria Ausiliatrice Sanctuary Turin
Address: Via Maria Ausiliatrice, 32 – 10152 Torino. Phone: +39 011 52241. Opening times: Mondays to Fridays from 06:30 till 13:00 and from 14:00 till 19:00, Stardays from 07:00 till 19:00, Sundays from 07:30 till 22:00. Ticket price: Free.
History and description
The Basilica di Maria Ausiliatrice was originally constructed between 1865 and 1868. The church was designed by Antonio Spezia, who was a friend of Don Bosco himself.
The reason to have the new sanctuary constructed was that the nearby San Francesco de Sales Church had become too popular and could not accommodate the huge numbers of believers anymore.
The church was built in a neo-Renaissance style and resembles the San Giorgio Maggiore Church in Venice.
Don Giovanni Bosco (1815-1888) was canonized in 1934. The enlargement of the church starte dthe year after. The new design was the work of the architect Giulio Valotti. The reconstruction finished in 1942.
What to see
Chapel of the Relics
The Chapel of the Relics was added during the construction. It contains relics not just of Don Bosco himself, but also of other saints.
The high altar is embellished with a painting by Tommaso Lorenzone, depicting “Santa Maria Ausiliatrice”.