The Santa Maria della Carità Church in Brescia is also known as the Buon Pastore Church, as it used to belong to the convent of that name until 1998. The architect Agostino Avanzo began building the church in 1640.
Santa Maria della Carità Church Brescia
Address: Via dei Musei, 41/via Rosa 25121 Brescia (tel. +39 371 313 6165). Opening hours: Unknown. Entrance fee: Free.
History and description
Before the Chiesa di Santa Maria della Carità was built, there was another church in this spot. Construction of the present church one began in 1640 and consecration took place in 1755.
It owes its name to a 15th century fresco depicting the “Madonna della Carità”, which was originally in the San Girolamo Monastery.
In the 18th century, the church underwent some major renovations.
The interior is characterized by an octagonal floor plan. The ornamental plasterwork and frescoes are in a Baroque style.
Its highlight is a richly decorated altar with the effigy of the Vergine dei Terragli. Behind it is a chapel that bears a faithful resemblance to the Santa Casa di Loreto.
The multi-colored marble floor is also very beautiful.