The Santa Maria del Carmine Church is one of the most famous and beautiful churches in Alessandria. It was built in the 14th century. Its present appearance is the result of a restoration that began in the mid-19th century and lasted almost 100 years.
Santa Maria del Carmine Church Alessandria
Address and opening times
The address of the Chiesa di Santa Maria del Carmine is Via Gerolamo Savonarola, 17 – 15121 Alessandria (tel. +39 0131253652). Opening hours: From 08.30 to 12.00 and from 15.00 to 18.30 (on Sundays until 19.00).
History and description
The Santa Maria del Carmine Church was built in 1320, in a Gothic-Lombard style. This was done for the mendicant order of Carmelites, who had been in the area since the 12th century.
From 1466 the church was expanded. The first addition was the addition of the Cappella Maggiore. The construction, which had been paid for by the wealthier families of the city, lasted until the end of the 15th century.
In 1745, during the Austrian War of Succession, the church was used as a military hospital. Because of this change, renovations were needed, which severely damaged the church.
In the early 19th century, the building served as the seat of the Guardia Nazionale of Napoleon’s government.
After the church had fallen almost completely into disrepair, a reconstruction/restoration began in 1865. Although this reconstruction was successful, it did not enhance the beauty of the church, and so the changes were reversed in 1931.
The church consists of three naves, separated by columns connected by pointed arches. The whitened parts of the interior were restored between 1954 and 1956 so that the original stones can be seen again.
What to see
A “Madonna del Rosario” (16th century, unknown artist).
A polyptych depicting a “Crucifixion” and “Santa Lucia between Saints Barbara and Agata” (16th century).
A triptych depicting “Saint Teresa and Crucifix” (18th century).
The frescoes on the side walls of the rectory depict the “Madonna del Carmelo” and the “Meal at Emmaus.” The painter was Dalle Ceste.