The Santa Maria di Castello Church is located in the square of the same name in Alessandria. It is the oldest church in the city.
Santa Maria di Castello Church Alessandria
Address, opening hours and admission
The address of the Chiesa di Santa Maria di Castello is Piazza Santa Maria di Castello – 15121 Alessandria (tel. +39 0131223489). Opening Hours: Monday to Saturday from 15.00 to 19.00 and Sunday from 09.00 to 12.00 and 16.00 to 21.00. Admission: Free of charge. Free guided tours are provided by volunteers.
History of Santa Maria di Castello Church
The Santa Maria di Castello Church is located in the ancient district of Rovereto, which can be considered the historical center of Alessandria. (This district owes its name to the fact that it was located within the walls of the now no longer existing Castrum Roboreti castle.)
The church was built at the beginning of the 12th century. In 1268 it came into the hands of the Monks of Santa Croce di Mortara and around the middle of the 15th century the Canonici Lateranensi took over the management. This lasted until 1798, when the Order was dissolved by Pope Pius VI.
In 1805, during the French occupation, the monastery was used as a military depot.
Later the church came into the hands first of the Somascans and then of the Suore di Carità.
During the Risorgimento, the building served as a barracks and, during periods of epidemics, as a quarantine.
In 1866 the church became state property. It had several function throughout the years, including prison and police station.
The church is characterized by a mixture of styles.
Santa Maria di Castello Church, what to see
A 16th century multi-colored terracotta statue depicting the “Burial of Jesus.”
The wooden choir dates from the 17th century.
There is a 14th century plaque by Federico Dal Pozzo.
Beneath the church one can see the ruins of two churches that stood on the site before, the oldest one dating from the 6th century.