The Santa Maria dei Miracoli Church in Rome is one of the two (almost) twin churches located off the Piazza del Popolo on the corner of the Via del Corso. The other one is the Santa Maria in Montesanto Church.
Santa Maria dei Miracoli Church Rome
Address, opening hours and tickets
The address of the Chiesa di Santa Maria dei Miracoli is Via del Corso, 528 – Rome (tel. +39 063610250). Metro: Flaminio. Opening hours: From 07:00 to 12:30 and from 16:00 to 19:30. Entrance fee: Free of charge.
History and description
Seen from the Piazza del Popolo, the Santa Maria dei Miracoli Church is the right one of the two churches.
It owes its name to a painting depicting the Virgin Mary as she miraculously saves a child from the Tiber. In 1598, the painting was replaced by a copy, while the original was moved to the San Giacomo in Augusta Church.
The church as it can be seen today dates from 1611 and was designed by Carlo Rainaldi. As happened with the Santa Maria in Montesanto, Bernini, in collaboration with Carlo Fontana, were to complete the construction.
The facade is characterized by a pronaos decorated with statues. The nave has two chapels on either side.
Although at first glance the domes of the twin churches seem identical, the one of the Santa Maria dei Miracoli Church is oval while the one of the Santa Maria in Montesanto Church is round.
What to see
Near the main altar is an effigy of Mary supported by four angels. The artist responsible for this work was Antonio Raggi. The altar itself was designed by Carlo Fontana.
The coat of arms of Cardinal Girolamo Gastaldi, who financed the construction of both churches, is depicted on the floor.
The 1st chapel on the left (Cappella di Sant’Antonio) contains a funerary monument to Antonio d’Este made by Antonio Canova.
In the 2nd chapel on the left (Cappella del Rosario) you can see an altar piece depicting the “Madonna del Rosario”. It is a copy, the original of which can be seen in the Santa Balbina Basilica.
The 2nd chapel on the right is called Cappella di San Giuseppe because it features a painting depicting “San Giuseppe with Baby Jesus”.
The statue in the center of this chapel is a copy of Alessandro Renoir’s “Madonna of Bétharram” made by Gino Mazzini.
The 1st chapel on the right is the Cappella dell’Assunta.
To enter the presbyterium designed by Carlo Fontana, one must pass under a triumphal arch decorated with the coat of arms of Cardinal Gastaldi.
Inside the presbyterium itself are the tombs of Girolamo Gastaldi (left) and his brother Benedetto Gastaldi (right). The two statues surmounting the monument to Girolamo depict “Faith” and “Hope”, while Benedetto has to make do with “Prudence” and “Self-Control”.