Santa Maria della Fava Church Venice

The Santa Maria della Fava Church in the sestiere Castello in Venice is also known as Santa Maria della Consolazione Church. The main attractions of the church are some paintings by the hand of Giambattista Tiepolo.

Santa Maria della Fava Church Venice

Address, opening hours and entrance fee

Address : Campo della Fava, 30122 Castello – Venice (tel. +39 041 5224601). Opening hours: Monday to Saturday from 09:30 to 11:30 and from 16:30 to 19:00; Sunday from 16:30 to 19:30. Admission: Free. Public transportation: Lines 1, 2, N, A (Rialto stop).

History and Description

Santa Maria della Fava Church Venice (Tiepolo)
Tiepolo – The Teaching of Maria

The Santa Maria della Fava Church was built in the 1496, with the purpose of housing an effigy of the “Madonna and Child”, to whom miraculous powers were attributed.

After the original church passed into the hands of the Order of San Filippo Neri in 1662, the church was completely rebuilt. This rebuilding began in 1701. The work was directed by Antonio Gaspari, who was inspired by Roman tradition and designed a church with a slightly oval floor plan, a dome and a drum.

According to tradition, the name della Fava derives from an old confectionery that was famous for the so-called “Fava dei Morti”. This was a pastry eaten until the Day of the Dead, November 2nd. However, it is more likely that the church was simply named after the Della Fava family.

Campo della Fava, 30122 Castello – Venice

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.