The Badia di Santa Maria della Gloria in Anagni was built by order of Cardinal Ugolino of Anagni (who was Pope Gregory IX from 1227 till 1241). At the time it was one of the major abbeys of the order of the Florensi. It is generally referred to as Badia della Gloria.
Santa Maria della Gloria Church Anagni
Address: Via Cavone della Badia, 22A – Anagni. Phone: Unknown. Opening times and ticket price: Depend on the event.
History and description
The Badia di Santa Maria della Gloria used to be one of the major abbeys of the order of the Florensi. It was constructed by uniting two already existing places of worship into one complex.
The construction is believed to have taken place in the early 13th century. The presence of several smaller abbeys in the area, and even in the rest of Italy, rendered the Abbey extremely inportant.
This position of influence did not las long, however. Already after the death of Pope Alexander IV, the abbey lost its papal protection.
In 1297, when Boniface VIII was Pope, the Abbey was forced to close its doors. The family Caetani ended up buying the complex. Coincidentally, the real name of Pope Boniface happened to be Benedetto Caetani.
Some centuries later, the building was deconsecrated.
At the moment, the complex is owned by the city of Anagni. Part of it is being used for the Festival of Medieval and Renaissance Theater.