The Santa Maria in Gradi Monastery and Church in Viterbo were designed by the architect Nicolò Salvi. After being expropriated in 1873 it served for many years as a prison.
Santa Maria in Gradi Convent Viterbo
Address, opening times and ticket price
The address of the convent is Via Santa Maria in Gradi – Viterbo. The opening hours are not known.
History and description
The Santa Maria in Gradi Church was built in the 13th century and restored between 1737 and 1758. The architect of the restorations was Nicolò Salvi, who is world famous for his design of the Trevi Fountain in Rome. After surviving World War II, the church was damaged while serving as a prison.
After the church was built, the city wall was also extended, in part to ensure that the monastics could be protected. The complex was also protected by three watchtowers.
Nowadays, the monastery serves as the seat of the Faculty of Modern Foreign Languages.
The monastery is characterized by two impressive cloisters and a portico for the church itself. The second, 17th century cloister is graced by a beautiful fountain with the coat of arms of the Chigi family, while the first features a well from 1557. The portico is a 15th century replacement of a previous structure.
After a restoration, the building was only recently reopened to visitors.