The Santa Maria Maddalena Church in Anghiari was built between the 17th and 18th centuries. The sanctuary is now incorporated into a large complex. The main attraction is the ceiling painting from the 17th century.
Santa Maria Maddalena Church Anghiari
Address: Corso Giacomo Matteotti, Anghiari. Opening hours: Not known. Entrance: Free.
History and description
The Santa Maria Maddalena Chapel was built between 1637 and 1746.
The façade is hardly noticeable, as the little church is incorporated into a block of houses in the 14th century Ruga di San Martino. (The Ruga di San Martino is now called Corso Giacomo Matteotti.)
Before the church was built, there was a hospital for homeless people dedicated to San Martino on the site.
The year 1639 is incised on the wooden portal. A simple iron cross can be seen above this portal.
The interior consists of one nave with two cross vaults.
The decorations consist of late Baroque plasterwork and a ceiling painting depicting the “Appearance of Christ to Magdalene.” The artist was an anonymous Tuscan painter.
A double portico surrounds the courtyard of the complex.