Santa Maria in Monserrato degli Spagnoli Church Rome

The Santa Maria in Monserrato degli Spagnoli Church is located in Rome‘s rione Regola, a few hundred meters west of the beautiful Piazza Farnese. On display are works of art by Annibale Caracci, Jacopo Sansovino and others.

Santa Maria in Monserrato degli Spagnoli Church Rome

Address, opening times, tickets

Santa Maria in Monserrato degli Spagnoli Church Rome
Santa Maria in Monserrato degli Spagnoli Church

The address of the Chiesa di Santa Maria in Monserrato is Via di Monserrato, 115 – 00186 Rome (tel. +39 06 6865865 or 06 6889651). Bus: 23, 116, 280, N10. The church is open only on Saturdays (5 to 7 p.m.) and Sundays (10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 5 to 7 p.m.). If one wishes to visit the church on a weekday, reservations must be made in advance by calling the second phone number above. On Sundays and holidays, Masses are celebrated at 10 a.m. (in Spanish), noon (Italian), 1 p.m. and 7 p.m. (Spanish).

History and description

The church was founded in 1506, when the Brotherhood of the Virgin of Montserrat in Catalonia established a kind of hostel for Spanish pilgrims.

In 1518, the church, designed by Antonio da Sangallo il Giovane, was built. The then church of the Aragonese and Catalans is now the national church of the Spanish (Chiesa Nazionale degli Spagnoli) in Rome.

The lower part of the façade is the work of Francesco da Volterra, who worked on it from 1582 to 1593.

A renovation took place in 1821, under the direction of Giuseppe Camporese. In 1929 the church was again reconstructed.

What to see

The portal dates back to the 18th century. On either side of this entrance are columns with a marble sculpture group themed “The Madonna and Child Sawing through the Rock” that refers to the mountain where the Catalan Monserrato Monastery is located.

One of the most famous statues in the church is “San Giacomo Maggiore” by Sansovino.

Annibale Caracci painted “San Diego d’Alcantara” (1606). In this painting, San Diego di Alcalà is depicted presenting the son of Juan de Herrera to Jesus. The work was originally made for the San Giacomo dei Spagnoli Church, then the church of the Spanish congregation in Rome. Juan de Herrera was a wealthy banker who had an ex voto chapel built here. When the Spaniards moved to the Santa Maria in Monserrato Church, they took many works of art, including Caracci’s painting.

In the portico of the Collegio Spagnolo is a bust of Pedro Foix Montoya made by Gian Lorenzo Bernini.

Via di Monserrato, 115 – 00186 Rome