The Church of Santa Maria di Monteluce in Perugia is now a parish church, but in the 13th century it was part of a convent where the Benedictine nuns who settled here resided. Later the convent was first taken over by the Franciscans before, after the Italian unification, it became state property.
Santa Maria di Monteluce Church Perugia
Address: Via Maria Alinda Bonacci Brunamonti, 51 – 06122 Perugia. Phone: +39 075 5720708. Opening times: From 07:30 till 12:30 and from 15:30 till 19:00. Admission: Free.
History and Description
From 1927, the convent served as a city hospital, taking on the role of the former hospital in Via Oberdan. In the 20th century, the entire hospital was transformed into the Sant’Andrea delle Fratte hospital complex.
The facade of the church is characterized by red marble slabs in white squares. It was built in 1451. The double entrance also dates from that time, although the wooden doors were not manufactured until the 16th century.
Artworks in the Santa Maria di Monteluce Church
There is a beautiful fresco cycle, painted in Mannerist style.
The Gothic room behind the apse contains paintings made by artists from the Sienese school.