The history of the Santa Teresa Church in Turin starts in 1622. The Discalced Carmelites are given a piece of land in the area where the first urban extension of Turin is taking place place. Almost one century later, the Chiesa del Carmine starts its existence in the same manner.
Santa Teresa Church Turin
Address: Via Santa Teresa, 5 – Turin. Phone: +39 011 538278. Opening times: From 07.30 till 12.00 and from 15.30 till 18.00. Ticket price: Free.
History and description
Construction of the new church, dedicated to Teresa d’Avila, started in 1642. The design of the new church was attributed to Andrea Costaguta.
The facade is concave and consists of two orders, both decorated with Corinthian columns. It was designed by Carlo Filippo Alberti in 1764.
The dome dates back to 1820.
The church has a Latin cross floor plan, with four chapels on each side.
The polychrome marble and stucco decorations were added in the late 19th century.
What to see
The 1st chapel on the right is the Sant’Erasmo Chapel. It contains the tomb of the wife of Vittorio Amedeo I, Christine of France, who died in 1663.
Ignazio Nipote was responsible for the “Pietà” in the 2nd chapel on the right.
The wife of Carlo Emanuele III, Polissena d’Assia, commissioned Filipp Juvarra to build the 4th chapel on the right.
Juvarra also designed the Chapel of the Holy Family in the right transept. The statues are by Tantardini and Sebastiano Conca painted the “Holy Family”.
The wall of the apse is decorated with a “Religious Ecstacy of Sint Teresa” by Montecalvo. Its vault frescoes are by Rodolfo Morgari. The main altar was partly dismantled in 1844.
Luigi Vacca painted the dome frescoes, themed “Glory of Santa Teresa”.
Juvarra also designed the Chapel of San Giuseppe in the left transept. The San Giuseppe altar dates from in 1733. The sculpture group is by Simone Martinez. Pietro Piffetti was responsible for the wooden inlays on the doors (1745). Corrado Giaquinto painted the fresco on the vault, plus several paintings on the walls.
The second chapel on the left hosts a gilded wooden “Madonna and Child” and a painting depicting “Teresa d’Avila” by Bartolomeo Caravoglia.