Santi Alessandro and Carlo Church Alessandria

The Santi Alessandro and Carlo Church is a Baroque church in Alessandria. From 1803 till 1810 it served as the city’s cathedral.

Santi Alessandro and Carlo Church Alessandria

Useful information

The address of the Chiesa dei Santi Alessandro e Carlo is Via Alessandro III, 10 – 15121 Alessandria (tel. +39 0131512239). Opening hours: Tuesday to Saturday from 15.00 to 19.30; Sunday from 09.00 to 12.00. Access: Free.

Santi Alessandro and Carlo Church Alessandria
Facade

History and description

The Santi Alessandro e Carlo Church was designed by Domenico Caselli. It was built for the order of the Barnabites. The construction started in 1742 and the consecration took place in 1758.

When religious orders were prohibited (1802), the church was converted into a warehouse. Already in 1803 it was reversed and the Santi Alessandro e Carlo Church was even used as the Cathedral of Alessandria.

In 1845 a partial reconstruction took place, under the direction of the architect Gaetano Giaccheri.

In 1867 the complex was handed over to the municipality. The high school belonging to the church was demolished in 1877 to make room for a Technical Institute.

The interior of the church is characterized by a single wide nave, and has four chapels.

What to see

The facade consists of two levels and is graced with statues of Saint Alessandro and other saints such as Luigi, Andrea, Carlo and Siro. The maker of the statues is Luigi Melchiorre.

The main altar, made of multicolored marble, dates from 1845.

The wooden choir.

Santi Alessandro and Carlo Church Alessandria


View Larger Map

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.