The Chiesa dei Santi Apostoli is a church in the sestiere Cannaregio in Venice. The current version of the church was built in the 16th century. The main attraction of this church is the Cappella Corner, where a number of tombs of this influential Venetian family can be seen.
Santi Apostoli Church Venice
Address, opening hours and entrance fee
Address : Campo Santi Apostoli, 30121 – Venice (tel. +39 041 5238297). Opening hours: Unknown. Entrance fee: Free.
History and description
The Santi Apostoli di Cristo Church was founded in the 11th century on one of the first inhabited sites of what was later to become Venice. The church has undergone several modifications over the centuries. Its current appearance is the result of a reconstruction in 1575, probably by Alessandro Vittoria.
The main attraction of the church is the Cappella Corner, designed in the 15th century by Mauro Condussi. This chapel, located along the right wall of the church, holds the burial monuments of the Corner family. The Cappella Corner is further graced by 16th century sculptures by Tullio Lombardo and an altarpiece by Gian Battista Tiepolo from 1748 (“The Communion of Santa Lucia”).
In the chapel to the right of the presbytery, one can see some Byzantine-looking frescoes. In the chapel on the other side, there is a 17th century “Guardian Angel” by Francesco Maffei.
The bell tower was rebuilt in 1672, but the upper part dates back to the 18th century.