The Chiesa dei Santi Domenico e Francesco in Spoleto is generally known as the San Domenico Church. The church was built in the early 14th century and contains art works by Cavalier d’Arpino and Giovanni Lanfranco.
San Domenico Church Spoleto
Address: Piazza San Domenico – Spoleto. Phone: +39 0743 223240. Opening times: From 09:00 till 18:00. Ticket price: Free. (Note that opening times and admission may be subject to change.)
History and description
The Church dei Santi Domenico and Francesco was built around the turn of the 13th and 14th centuries. At the time, it was still dedicated to the Salvatore (“Saviour”), however, and its architectural style was Gothic.
It had been constructed next to a Dominican convent, which had been constructed in 1247.The facade is covered with alternating bands of pink and white stone. The decoration consists of a rose window.
The interior consists of a single nave and a wide transept. Chapels open onto the apse
What to see
Unfortunately, many frescoes inside the church were damaged during 16th and 17th century renovations.
The main paintings in the church are a copy of a “Transfiguration”, by Cavalier d’Arpino. The original was the work of Raphael.
The altar piece in the right transept, “Madonna with Child” was painted by Giovanni Lanfranco. The other painting depicts “Sant’Anna, Santa Caterina da Siena, Santa Caterina di Alexandria and Sant’Elena”.