The Santi Giorgio and Martina Church is a sober church outside the centre of Tivoli. The present church is the result of a restoration after the Second World War.
Santi Giorgio en Martina Kerk Tivoli
Address, opening times and ticket price
Address: Vicolo Ciaccia, 20 – 00019 Tivoli . Phone: +39 0774 010814. Opening hours: Unavailable. Entrance fee: Free of charge.
History and description
The Santi Martina and Giorgio Church was built on pre-existing structures. The first version of the church as it can be seen now was built between 1571 and 1601.
Due to damage caused during World War II, the church had to be completely restored in the 20th century.
The austere facade is topped by a gable roof. Even the portal of the church, with a tympanum that resembles this roof, is only sparsely decorated.
The interior has a single nave ending in a semicircular apse. Reinforced concrete pillars mark the hall. There are no side chapels. The floor is covered with marble.