The current appearance of the Santi Nazaro e Celso Church in Brescia is the result of a major renovation in the 18th century. Highlights include the “Averoldi Polyptych” painted by Titian and some works by Moretto.
Santi Nazaro e Celso Church Brescia
Address: Corso Giacomo Matteotti, 31 – 25122 Brescia (tel. +39 0303754387). Website: parrocchiasantinazaroecelsobrescia.it. Opening hours: Monday to Saturday from 09.00 to 11.00 and 15.00 to 17.30; Sunday from 09.00 to 12.00 and 15.30 to 19.00. Entrance fee: Free of charge.
History and description
The Chiesa dei Santi Nazaro e Celso was built in the 15th century and completely renovated in the mid-18th century. The architects of this renovation were Giuseppe Zinelli and Antonio Marchetti.
The neo-classical facade is characterized by tall Corinthian columns. The seven statues on the facade are by Citterio.
What to see
The main attraction is the “Polittico Averoldi”, painted by Titian when he was very young. Made in 1522, the polyptych consists of five panels, with a “Resurrection” in the center. Depicted on the left is Altobello Averoldi, the bishop who had commissioned the work.
Averoldi himself is buried in the church. What is left of his funerary monument, created by Lorenzo Bregno in 1522, can be seen near the left side entrance to the atrium.
In the third chapel on the right is a work by Il Moretto from 1541 (“Cristo Eucaristico”). Other paintings by this artist are in the second (“Coronation of Mary and Four Saints”) and third chapels on the left and in the rectory.
Two tempera paintings by Romanino are preserved in the sacristy.