The Santi Prospero and Filippo Church in Pistoia is situated in the center of the city. The main attraction of the church is the Biblioteca Fabroniana.
Santi Prospero and Filippo Church Pistoia
The address of the Chiesa dei Santi Prospero e Filippo is on the Piazzetta di San Filippo. However, the official address is Via Abbi Pazienza, 11 – 51100 Pistoia (tel. +39 057321912). Opening hours: Unknown. Entrance fee: Unknown.
History and Description
The Santi Prospero and Filippo Church was built in the 12th century and at that time was dedicated only to San Prospero. In the 17th century the church came under the management of the Order of the Oratorians founded by San Filippo Neri.
In 1622, Girolamo di Taddeo Rospigliosi commissioned a complete rebuilding of the church in honor of the beatification of San Filippo Neri.
In 1655, Pope Clement IX Rospigliosi donated the reliquary of San Giordano to the church.
In the early 18th century, the church was entirely painted with frescoes. Before this, Cardinal Carlo Agostino Fabroni had the building raised when he wanted to house his prestigious Biblioteca Fabroniana.
Santi Prospero and Filippo Church Pistoia, what to see
The frescoes that adorn the walls and vault of the church were painted by Giovan Domenico Ferretti and Lorenzo del Moro. They completed their work in 1746.
The Biblioteca Fabroniana is managed by the Chapter of the Cathedral. The collection consists of 15 thousand manuscripts (Latin, Greek and Italian) and illuminated writings.
Although the church entrance is in the Piazzetta San Filippo, its official address is in the Via Abbi Pazienza. This beautiful name translates as “Be Patient Street”.