Originally dedicated to the Saints Stefano and Martino, the Santo Stefano Church is an 18th century church in the Via Verona in Alessandria.
Santi Stefano and Martino Church Alessandria
The address of the former Chiesa dei Santi Stefano e Martino is Via Verona, 4 – 15121 Alessandria. Opening hours: From 08.00 to 12.00 and from 16.00 to 19.00.
History and curiosities
The history of the Santi Stefano and Martino Church began in 1728 when the Servites of Mary received permission to build a chapel on the site where the church still stands.
The expansion into a true church began in 1742 and in 1773 its consecration took place.
In 1802, when religious orders were banned, the Servites left and the church was used as a warehouse by Napoleon’s troops.
In 1805, the church became the seat of the San Martino parish and the pastor moved into the adjoining convent.
The facade of the church is made of brick and is characterized by four huge columns.
A gilded wooden statue of the “Madonna and Child”, probably from the early 18th century.