The Church of the Santi Vincenzo and Anastasio is an old church, built on topp of an ancient temple, in Ascoli Piceno. The facade used to be decorated with frescoes, which have however completely faded.
Santi Vincenzo and Anastasia Church Ascoli Piceno
The address of the Chiesa dei Santi Vincenzo e Anastasio is Piazza Ventidio Basso – 63100 Ascoli Piceno (tel. +39 0736252883).
History and description
The original Santi Vincenzo and Anastasio Church was built in the 11th century, on top of a 6th century hypogeum. This church had a square foundation. The bell tower was separate from the church itself.
Towards the end of the 14th century, the church was enlarged, resulting in the tower being attached to the building. The facade was also completed in those years.
This facade is rectangularly divided into 64 planes. The characters and events from both the Old and New Testaments depicted in these planes have completely faded.
The richly decorated main entrance dates from 1306 and is adorned with statues depicting the Madonna and Child and the two saints after whom the church is named.
The interior consists of three naves.
What to see
The crypt beneath the church contains a small vessel known as the Well of San Silvestro, whose water was thought to heal lepers. In the 19th century, the source of the well was sealed off.