The Benedictine Abbey of the Santi Vincenzo and Anastasio is located at an altitude of 850 meters outside the center of Amandola in the province of Fermo. At the moment, the abbey cannot be visited. After the 2016 earthquake, the church is seriously damaged and there are fears of collapse.
Santi Vincenzo and Anastasio Abbey Amandola
Address: Strada comunale Contrada Badia s.n.c. – Amandola (tel. +39 0736 84071). The phone number is that of the municipality. At the moment the church is closed. Please call to see if the church is open again.
History and description
The abbey probably already existed before the year 1000, possibly even in the 8th century. According to one legend, the king Liutprando gave some pieces of land to the abbey at the beginning of this century. The oldest existing documents mentioning the complex date from 1044.
Between 1295 and the 15th century the structure was thoroughly reconstructed. Of the original structure only parts of the right wing have survived. Here you can see some arches that used to belong to the cloister, as well as pieces of the rectangular apse.
The abbey was made smaller during this time. A bell tower,built in 1461, replaced the original entrance. The new entrance was created near the apse, on the opposite side of the church.
What to see
The interior consists of a single nave, with a wooden ceiling. A staircase leads to the presbytery, which is built on a small elevation. A side corridor leads to the crypt, which also consists of a single nave. The crypt is supported by a central pillar and lit by monophores on either side of the staircase.