Santi Vincenzo e Anastasio Church Rome

The Santi Vincenzo e Anastasio church is located diagonally opposite the Trevi Fountain in the Piazza di Trevi in Rome. However, in the vernacular, for reasons explained below, it was called the Satanasia Church.

Santi Vincenzo e Anastasio Church Rome

Address, Entrance Price and Opening Hours

The address of the church is Vicolo dei Modelli, 73 – Rome (Bus: 52, 53, 62, 63, 71, 83, 85, 116, 116T, 160, 160F, 175, 492, C3, N4, N5, N12, N25). Admission is free. Opening hours are every day from 9:00 am to 8:00 pm.

History and Description

Santi Vincenzo e Anastasio Church Rome
Santi Vincenzo and Anastasio Church

The SS. Vincenzo e Anastasio Church was designed by the architect Martino Longhi il Giovane and founded by Cardinal Mazarin. The cardinal’s coat of arms, framed by angels with nude upper bodies, not a common sight on a Roman church, adorns its upper part.

The bust of the cardinal himself can also be seen on the church. What is even more unusual is that his niece Ortensia Mancini is also depicted there. This makes her the only layperson depicted on the facade of a Roman church.

For centuries the church served as the parish church of the district. Since the Quirinal Palace, which for a long time served as the residence of succession of popes, also belonged to this district, in the SS. Vincenzo and Anastasio church the hearts and other organs of some 30 popes who died between 1590 and 1903, removed during embalming, were preserved. This led to the nickname Satanasia church.

Since 2006, a Bulgarian monastic order has been using the church every Sunday morning at 10:30 a.m. to celebrate Mass there. This is done under the name Santi Cirillo and Metodio.

Santi Vincenzo e Anastasio Church, Rome

Trevi district

Follow by Email
WhatsApp