The Chiesa delle Santissime Anime del Purgatorio (“Church of the Holiest Souls of Purgatory”) is one of few churches in Ragusa to have survived the 1693 earthquake. Highlights are the Baroque facade and 19th century paintings by Francesco Manno.
Santissime Anime del Purgatorio Church Ragusa
Address: Piazza della Repubblica – Ragusa. Phone: +39 . Opening times: Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00 till 19:00. Ticket price: Free. (Note that prices and times may be subject to change.)
History and description
The “Church of the Holiest Souls of Purgatory” was probably constructed on land belonging to Don Giovanni Valerio Mazza, who also paid for most of its construction.
The inauguration took place in 1658.
Unlike most churches in the district, it survived the 1693 earthquake virtually undamaged.
The present appearance of the church is the result of an enlargement in the 18th century.
The facade is divided into three parts, corresponding to the three naves. Both the naves and the bays of the facade are separated by Corinthian columns.
The bell tower at the rear was built on top of what are supposed to have been the ancient Byzantine walls of Ibla. The ruins can be viewed by passing through the Salita dell’Orologio.
The arched buttress spanning the Via Aquila Sveva was meant to support the church.
What to see
The biggest attraction of the church is the large painting Anime del Purgatorio by Francesco Manno (19th century). The work is supposed to have been made after a sketch by a local priest.