The Santissimo Salvatore Church in Palermo was built in the 2nd half of the 17th century. The church has a rather unadorned exterior, while the interior is characterized by the oval floor plan and the large dome. It is located along the main street of the city, Corso Vittorio Emanuele.
Santissimo Salvatore Church Palermo
Address, opening times an ticket price
Address: Chiesa del SS. Salvatore, Via Vittorio Emanuele, 395 – 90134 Palermo. Tel: (+39) 091323392. Admission price: 2,50 Euro; discount: 1,50 Euro for Circuito del Sacro card holders. Opening hours: From 10:00 to 18:00; December 24 and 31 from 10:00 to 14:00; January 1 from 14:00 to 18:00. Dome opening hours: from March 21 to October 30, Wednesday to Sunday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.; from November 1 to March 20, Saturday, Sunday and holidays from 10 a.m. to 12 a.m. and from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. Closed: 15 August, 25 December. Handicapped: Not accessible by wheelchair.
History and description
The Chiesa del Santissimo Salvatore (“Church of the Most Holy Redeemer”) was built in 1682, to a design by Paolo Amato. The church is characterized by an oval floor plan and a very large dome.
As a plaque inside the church indicates, construction was completed just before the turn of the 17th century.
The church has a fairly sober facade, with alternating niches and windows. The central part is characterized by a loggia with three arches and a monumental semi-circular tympanum.
In 1763 the dome was covered with a loggia to protect the vault from rainwater.
Wide marble steps lead to the entrance of the church. The frescoes on either side depict “The Miracle of San Basilio” and “The Sermon of San Basilio” and were painted by Vito D’Anna around 1763.
There are two deep chapels on the sides and a large rectangular one opposite the entrance.
Of the Baroque decorations, some ornamental plasterwork can still be seen on the pillars near the altars and the four choirs. The ornamental plasterwork on the frieze above the choir has also been preserved.
On the right side, there is a wooden crucifix on a marble surround. Near it are statues representing the Archangel Michael, San Gaetano and Mary Magdalene.
The church was severely damaged during the war, but was restored in 1959.
After having been used as an auditorium for many years, the Santissimo Salvatore Church has now returned to its original function.