The Santo Stefano Church in Alatri was built as early as the 10th century, but was reduced in size in the 16th century to create space for the construction of a monastery next-door.
Santo Stefano Church Alatri
Address, opening hours and entrance fee
Address: Largo Ignazio Danti, 2 – 03011 Alatri. Telephone: +39 0775 434690.
History and Description
The Chiesa di Santo Stefano was built towards the end of the 10th century. In the year 1284, Cardinal Gottifredo di Raynaldo had some major, typically Gothic modifications made.
In the 16th century another radical change took place. The left nave was closed to allow the construction of the Benedictine Monastery dell’Annunziata.
The interior of the church is richly decorated with stucco ornaments and with some 17th century paintings.
An extraordinarily old bell is kept in the monastery. According to tradition, it was given by San Benedetto to Servando in 528 when the saint was staying in the Badia di San Sebastiano.