Scarlino is a small hill town near the coast, north of the provincial capital of Grosseto. The town has just under four thousand inhabitants. Apart from tourism, it lives mainly from agriculture, especially olive oil and chestnuts. The most striking attraction is still the Aldobrandeschi Castle.
Scarlino travel guide
Region: Tuscany. Province: Grosseto. The ZIP code is 58020 and the area code is 0566. The address of the town hall is via Martiri d’Istia, 1 – 58020 – Scarlino. Telephone: +39 056638511.
Tourist office: The I.A.T (Ufficio Informazioni e di Accoglienza Turistica Scarlino) is also located in the town hall. Phone: +39 0566 38509. There is another office in Marina di Scarlino Galleria Commerciale, 58020 (Phone: +39 0566 866288. Hours:From 09:00 till 12:00 and from 18:00 till 23:00).
Public transport: There is a train station in the Scarlino Scalo suburb.
A brief history of Scarlino
Scarlino has existed since the 10th century. It was fiefdom of a large number of different families before being annexed to the Grand Duchy of Tuscany in 1815. It has only been a self-contained municipality since 1960.
Foundation and early history
The name of the town comes from the word scherlin (“procession with candles”). This refers to the function of lighthouse it used to fulfill for the Roman port of Scabris (where the village of Il Puntone is now located).
The oldest document mentioning the town dates back to 973. It confirms that this fief of the Scabri came into the hands of the Aldobrandeschi.
After the Alberti had owned it, it became the property of the Aldobrandeschi. This family remained in possession of Scarlino until 1278, when Pisa took over. The castle built by the family still towers over the city.
In 1339 it comes into the hands of the state of Piombino led by the Appiani princes. The next owners were the Ludovisi, the Boncompagni and the Baciocchi.
After the Middle Ages
In 1815 the town was annexed to the Grand Duchy of Tuscany and in 1860 became part of the new Italian State.
Scarlino has been an autonomous municipality only since 1960. Previously, the town was part of Gavorrano.
What to see in Scarlino
The highest part of the town is still marked by the ancient medieval Aldobrandeschi Castle. The Pieve di San Donato and the Montedurino Monastery date from the same era. Along the coast one can still see some Roman ruins.
Events and festivals
The most important festival takes place every year on August 19. This Carriere del 19 is held to commemorate the end of the cholera epidemic of 1855. The three districts of Rocca, San Donato and Centro hold an archery contest and relay race. There is also a parade in medieval costume.
How to reach Scarlino by car
By car: From both Rome and Grosseto take the E80 to Potassa. Here you turn to the SP152 (direction Follonica). At Bagno di Gavorrano take the Strada Provinciale Puntone towards Scarlino.