Tempietto di Bramante Rome
Address: Via Garibaldi, 33 – Rome. Phone: +39 06 5812806. Opening hours: From 10.00 till 18.00. Closed: Mondays. Ticket: free.
History and description
The Tempietto di Bramante was built in the 16th century. It actually consists of two cylinders, of which the outer one is formed by 16 columns. The central cylinder ends in a semi-circular dome, while the entire structure rests on a series of steps.
Bramante designed his temple in 1502, although he had already received the commission for it in 1497. This was given by the Spanish King Ferdinando, following a promise made on the death of his early-deceased son Juan.
Bezienswaardigheden Tempietto di Bramante
It was originally intended as a martyrium to commemorate the fact that St. Peter died a martyr’s death on this spot. Below the circular floor plan is a crypt with a sign on the floor covering the hole where the cross to which the saint was attached was placed.
The columns making up the outer ring of the temple are crowned with Doric capitals, which was very unusual for the time as people preferred Ionic or Corinthian capitals.