Temple of Antonino and Faustino Rome

The Temple of Antonino and Faustina is located in the Roman Forum in Rome and stands between the Basilica Aemilia and the Temple of Divo Romolo. It is partially incorporated into the San Lorenzo in Miranda Church and is one of the most photogenic monuments in the Forum.

Temple of Antonino and Faustino Rome

Practical information

Temple of Antonino and Faustino Rome
Columns of the Temple of Antonino and Faustino

The Tempio di Antonino e Faustina is located in the Roman Forum. Opening hours and entrance fee are therefore those of the entire archaeological complex around the Colosseum.

History

The Temple of Antonino and Faustina was built in AD 141.

As the inscription on the architrave claims (Divo Antonino et Divae Faustinae ex S(enatus) c(onsulto)), the monument was erected by Emperor Antonino Pio, in honor of his wife Faustina.

Faustina had died in that year and was then deified.

The first part of the inscription (Divo Antonino et) was added only when the Emperor himself died.

The temple stands on a high podium and is preceded by a wide staircase. (The current staircase is a brick reconstruction).

The ruins of the ancient altar can be seen in the center of the temple.

The facade consists of six large columns of the stone type called marmo cipollino and imported from Greece. The columns are 17 meters high and are crowned by white marble Corinthian capitals. There are two more such columns on each side.

The room itself is made of the gray-mottled volcanic peperino stone. The two long sides have a frieze decorated with griffins and plant motifs. Originally, the walls were covered with marble.

In the 11th century, the temple was converted into the San Lorenzo in Miranda Church. Probably the name San Lorenzo had to do with the fact that the saint was believed to have been condemned to death here. Miranda can refer to the Forum itself, but also to a woman who had founded a nearby convent.

In 1536, on the occasion of a visit by Charles V, the church was demolished so that the portico could again be clearly seen.

In 1602 it was reconstructed and took up the space itself, plus the top part of the fa├žade.

Antonino and Faustina Temple Rome


View Larger Map