The Temple of Concordia (Tempio della Concordia) is the most famous one of the monuments in the Valley of the Temples in Agrigento. Because this temple was converted into a basilica in the fourth century, it is much better preserved than the other temples in the valley.
Tempio della Concordia Agrigento
Address: Via Panoramica dei Templi 92100 – Agrigento (tel. +39 0922621657). Official website: www.parcovalledeitempli.it. Opening hours: From 08.30 to 19.00. Entrance fee: 10 Euro (discount: 5 Euro). Combi-ticket with Archaeological Museum: 13,50 Euro (discount: 7 Euro). From mid-July to mid-August the valley is open in the evenings from 19:00 to 22:00 on weekdays and from 19:00 to 23:00 on Saturdays and Sundays. On the first Sunday of the month, the monument is free.
History and description
Built in the mid-5th century BC, the Tempio della Concordia is considered one of the best existing examples of Doric architecture.
It is a peripteros, with six columns in front. The total number of columns is 34.
Unlike the Temple of Giunone Lacinia, its structure has been excellently preserved. This is because the temple was converted into a basilica in the 4th century. The spaces between the pillars were sealed, which strengthened the structure. Semicircular arches were created in the interior walls.
In 1748 the temple was restored to its original state. It is not certain to whom the temple was dedicated, although it could have been Castor and Pollux. The name by which it is now known is due to a Latin inscription found nearby.