Terracina is a seaside village in the province of Latina in the regione Lazio. It is located halfway between Rome and Naples. Like many Italian towns Terracina is divided in a higher, older part on top of a hill and a more recent lower part.
Terracina travel guide
History and description
Terracina used to be an important city in ancient Roman times, since it was a major port along the Appian Way and there was also an important temple dedicated to Jupiter.
Before it was conquered by Rome in 406 BC, it was first occupied by the Etruscans and later by the Volsci.
In 329, the Romans made it into a colony. They even gave its citizens full civil rights.
After the fall of Rome it became part of the duchy of Naples and, in 882, of the Papal State.
The city was a feud of the Frangipane, the Annibaldi and the dukes of Fondi.
In 1534 Terracino was destroyed by Saracen pirates under Kaireddin Barbarossa. For more than two centuries the city was more or less abandoned. In 1777, under Pope Pius VI, the marshy area around the city was drained and Terracina regained importance.
After the occupation by the French troops under Napoleon, the area was taken over by brigands.
During World War II the city was almost completely destroyed.
From Terracina‘s harbor ferries depart for the Pontine islands.
Terracina was the first city outside Rome where a conclave was held. In 1088 Pope Urban II was elected here.
The beach of Terracina is considered one of the best in the area south of Rome. It is characterized by a long stretch of fine, white sand and is generally rewarded with the Bandiera Blu, for being unpolluted and environmentally friendly.
Tourist Attractions Terracina
Piazza del Municipio: The main square in the historical center of Terracina. Its stones came from the Roman Forum.
Terracina‘s 11th century San Cesareo Cathedral was built on top of a temple dedicated to Augustus. It is said that the stone basin in the portico was used for boiling Christians. The campanile is Roman-Gothic.
Museo Civico: Collection of ancient sculptures that were found in and around the city.
Temple of Jupiter Anxur: Only the vaulted base is left of this temple. Anxur is the name by which the Volsci knew the town.
Also of the Capitolium some ruins can still be seen.
Pisco Montano: A 36 meter deep cut in the rock below the temple, ordered by Emperor Trajan in order to facilitate the route of the Via Appia.
The Palazzo Venditti was built in the 15th century.
The Torre Frumentaria was constructed in the 12th century.
The San Salvatore Church was constructed in a neo-classicist style.