Most of the top 10 tourist attractions of Alessandria date back to the Middle Ages and the Renaissance period. The city’s castle is very well preserved. Of special note is the Borsalino Museum, dedicated to the hat that put Alessandria on the fashion map.
Top 10 tourist attractions Alessandria
01. Santa Maria del Carmine Church
The Santa Maria del Carmine Church is one of the most famous and beautiful churches in Alessandria. It was built in the 14th century. Its current appearance is the result of a restoration that began in the mid-19th century and lasted nearly 100 years.
02. Palazzo del Municipio
The Palazzo del Municipio was built, with interruptions, between the 18th and 19th centuries. Highlights include the three enormous bells and the weather vane (originally dating from the 9th century).
03. Alessandria Cathedral
The Cathedral of Alessandria: The facade of the church stat from the 19th century. The beautiful dome is decorated with statues representing the cities of the Lega Lombarda.
04. Palazzo Cuttica di Cassine
Palazzo Cuttica di Cassine: Built in the 18th century by a family that belonged to the nobility, this palace is today used as the seat of the city’s Museo Civico.
05. Palatium Vetus
Palatium Vetus: Built in the 12th century, when the city was also founded, this palace has almost always been Alessandria’s political and administrative center over the centuries.
06. Palazzo Guasco
The Palazzo Guasco used to be the seat of the city’s first theater and today houses (among other things) a modern art gallery.
07. Teatro delle Scienze
Teatro delle Scienze: The natural history museum is combined with the city’s Planetarium.
08. Santa Maria di Castello Church
The Santa Maria di Castello Church is the oldest church in Alessandria and has had an eventful history.
The Cittadella, the ancient castle of of the city is one of the best preserved castles of the time.
10. Palazzo Ghilini
Palazzo Ghilini: Built by the Ghilini family, this palace would later become the Royal Palace under the Savoys.
More points of interest in Alessandria
The Santi Alessandro e Carlo Church served as the Cathedral of Alessandria for several years in the early 19th century.
The Santi Stefano and Martino Church was built in the 18th century. The highlight in this church is a gilded wooden statue of Mary.
The San Giovannino Church is located on the main street of Alessandria the Corso Roma. The interior is graced with beautiful wooden sculptures.
The Santi Sebastiano and Dalmazzo Church: In Via San Dalmazzo, on the site of a church originally dedicated to this saint. Rebuilt in 1741 by the Benedictines, entrusted in 1833 to the Brotherhood of San Sebastiano. From the end of the 19th century it was not used as a church for a while to be reopened in 1955 by the nuns of the Apostles of the Sacred Heart.
San Giacomo della Vittoria Church
The San Rocco Church has existed under this name since the 19th century, but it is the continuation of the Giovanni dei Capucci complex built by the Order of the Umiliati.
Beata Vergine di Monserrato Church.
Former San Francesco Church: Now owned by the state, this 13th-century church for several centuries was no longer used as a church, but as a military hospital.
Palazzo Inviziati: Built toward the end of the 15th century, as a residence for the Inviziati family. Often changed hands until Bishop Guarnero Trotti Bentivoglio purchased it and made it the Episcopal seat. In 1670 Bishop Carlo Ciceri had the palace enlarged and further renovations took place in the 19th century. The rooms on the first floor are characterized by magnificent ceilings (Via Vescovado).
The Antiquarium di Villa del Foro (Via Oviglio, 10) is located near the excavations of the ancient Roman Forum Fulvii, which dates from the period between the 2nd century BC and the 3rd century AD). The collection begins in the Neolithic period and ends with ceramics and glass and metal working in the Roman period.
The Marenga Museum is dedicated to the Battle of Marenga, an important event in the history of the region. It is housed in the Villa Cataldi.
The Borsalino Museum is dedicated to the hat designed by Giuseppe Borsalino in 1857, after which a movie is even named.
The Museo del Ferro, as its name suggests, is devoted to everything to do with iron.
The Museo Etnografico “C’era una Volta” (or “There Once Was” Museum) shows scenes of peasant life in the 19th and 20th centuries.
The City Museum, founded in 1885, displays works of art dating from the 15th to the 18th centuries from churches and private collections.
Miscellaneous attractions Alessandria
Arco di Trionfo: This triumphal arch is located at the end of Via Dante. The arch was built in 1768 to honor the visit to the city of the then King of Sardegna, Vittorio Amedeo III. The designer was Giuseppe Caselli.
The Chambers of Arthur (Stanze di Artù) display a number of frescoes from the 14th century, discovered in 1971 in the reception room of Frugarolo’s Torre Pio V.