The historical centre of Capranica is located on a tuff stone rock, which is shaped like a flagship. Most of the top 10 attractions of the city are located within this historic center, which can be entered through two ancient city gates.
Top 10 tourist attractions Capranica
01. Madonna del Piano Church
The Madonna del Piano Church was built between the 12th and 14th centuries and stands just outside the city walls of Capranica. In 1559, it was restored by Vignola, but after both the church and the adjacent convent collapsed in 1632, many of the changes made by the famous architect were lost during reconstruction.
02. Castello degli Anguillara and Torrione dell’Orologio
The Castello degli Anguillara was built in the 13th centy. Its construction was adapted to the characteristics of the land. The Torrione dell’Orologio is a later addition.
03. Santa Maria Church
The Santa Maria Church was built in 1866 by the neo-classical architect Vespignani. Highlights in this church are a tabernacle from the 15th century and the 12th century painting “Blessed Redeemer”.
04. Madonna dei Ruscelli Church
Chiesa della Madonna dei Ruscelli
05. Ospedale di San Sebastiano
The 13th century entrance gate of the Ospedale di San Sebastiano.
06. Madonna delle Grazie Church
The Chiesa della Madonna delle Grazie was built between the 13th and 16th centuries.
07. San Francesco Church
The San Francesco Church dates back to the 12th century. The highlight of this church is the Gothic tomb of the twins Francesco and Nicola Anguillara (15th century).
08. San Giovanni Church
The Chiesa Collegiata di San Giovanni was restored in the 19th century. It was built on top of an already existing Romanesque church. The bell tower still belongs to the first version. Highlights are a crucifix from the 16th century and a marble tabernacle.
09. San Pietro Church
The San Pietro Church dates back to the 11th century.
10. San Rocco Church
The Chiesa di San Rocco (15th century) is the seat of the Museo delle Confraternite (“Museum of the Brotherhoods”).
More tourist attractions Capranica
- San Terenziano Church
- Palazzo Montenero-Sansoni (late 18th century)
- Palazzo Forlani (17th century)
- Palazzo Patrizi-Naro
- Palazzo del Governatorato (17th century)
- The Palazzo Accoramboni was built in the 17th century and is the seat of the city’s town hall.
- Chiesa della Madonna del Cerreto (18th century)
- Porta di Sant’Antonio (17th century)
- The Porta del Ponte is the gateway to the Anguillara Castle.