The Top 10 tourist attractions of Tarquinia is obviously centered on the city’s Etruscan origins, with the Necropolis and the Archaeological Museum as the main attractions. However, the Middle Ages are also represented, with picturesque old churches and city towers flanking the narrow alleys.
Top 10 tourist attractions Tarquinia
01. Etruscan Necropolis
The Necropoli Etrusca Monterozzi is one of the most famous Etruscan sites, with some 200 beautifully decorated tombs, not all of which are open to visitors, however. The Tomb of the Leopards is one of the higlights.
02. Palazzo Vitelleschi & Archaeological Museum
The Palazzo Vitelleschi is a15th Century building, which houses the Museo Nazionale Archeologico Tarquiniense. One of the most famous attractions of this museum is the famous 4th century BC high-relief Cavalli Alati (“Winged Horses”).
03. Palazzo Comunale
The Palazzo Comunale (Piazza Giacomo Matteotti) is the town hall of Tarquinia. The palace was constructed in the 14th century. The assembly hall is graced with interesting frescoes.
04. Santa Maria in Castello Church
The Chiesa di Santa Maria in Castello is situated just outside the city walls. One of the main characteristics of this church is its impressive facade.
05. Santa Margherita Cathedral
The Duomo di Santa Margherita was built on pre-existing buildings dating back to the 12th to the 14th century. The church was destroyed by fire in 1643 and rebuilt in several stages. Highlight: The frescoes painted by Antonio da Viterbo (better known as il Pastura) depicting “Events in the Life of the Virgin” (1508-1509).
06. Porta di Castello & Matilda di Canossa Tower
The 15th century Porta di Castello is a gate that is part of the defense system at the entrance to the castle. Two towers on either side of the gate are connected by a high wall with a walkway on top, a construction known as resecata. The commissioner for its construction was G.Vitelleschi, who wanted to shield the castle in this way from the urban expansion. Behind the Porta di Castello is the Torrione detto di Matilde di Canossa, a large round tower.
07. Fontana Nova
The Fontana Nova is a 12th century recently restored fountain that was called “Old Fountain” before becoming “New Fountain.”
08. Barriera di San Giusto
The Barriera di San Giusto is the former medieval gateway to the city, and was originally called Porta Firenze. The Barriera was designed in 1883, by C. Grispini. The large iron gates that surrounded it were removed in 1936. The terrace with the beautiful view dates from the beginning of the last century.
09. Belvedere della Ripa
The Belvedere della Ripa offers one of the most beautiful panoramas of the city. It is right in the center, near the city wall that runs from the Porta di Castello to the San Giacomo Church.
10.Via delle Torri
The Via delle Torri is exactly what its name suggests a street with a number of towers. The 11th century Torre Barucci is named after the former owners. The square Torre Draghi (n. 13) is connected to a 12th century building. There is also an ancient washing place (lavatoio).
More Tarquinia tourist attractions
The Archivio Storico is housed in the 15th century Palazzetto di Santo Spirito , whose façade shows both Gothic and Renaissance elements. (Piazza Titta Marini, 25)
The Palazzo dei Priori (Via delle Torri) consists of a number of ancient buildings and towers joined together and houses the Ceramics Museum of Tarquinia.
The Torre del Magistrato is a square tower. it is in this tower that the city’s magistrates used to meet. It is sandwiched between buildings from the 12th and 13th centuries.
The Chiesa di San Pancrazio probably also dates from the late 12th, early 13th century. The exact date is not known, but one can more or less deduce it from important events that took place there.
The Ex Palazzo Comunale is the 12th century former town hall of Tarquinia ( Via degli Archi, 41-63).
Torre Cialdi (Via della Ripa, 3-9): Tower on the west side of the city, in the Campo Cialdi. Built around the end of the 11th century.
The Chiesa di San Martino is the oldest church in Tarquinia. It already existed in 1051 but has been reconstructed very often over the years. On display is a 15th century fresco of “Saint Anne and the Madonna with Child.”
The Chiesa dell’Annunziata (Via San Giacomo, 3) is a fairly small, 12th century church. Like many buildings in the city, it is constructed using a stone type called macca. Originally dedicated to San Pietro Apostolo, it was known as San Pietro del Vescovo until the 17th century due to an error in pronunciation.
Chiesa di San Leonardo (Piazza Trento e Trieste, 4-9): This church was built in 1746. Highlights are the painting “Patron Saint” by G. Romanelli and for all the tomb of Cardinal A.M. Quaglia (1872) made by Vespignani.
Palazzo Bruschi (Via Umberto I, 24): Three-story Renaissance palace. Its present appearance is the result of a remodeling by Vespignani around the middle of the 19th century. Today seat of the City Library.
Belvedere dell’Alberata (Via Dell’ Alberata Dante Alighieri, 29): One of the most beautiful views of Tarquinia, often the background of concerts and other events.
The Fontana di Piazza is situated in the Piazza Giacomo Matteotti. This monumental 18th-century fountain was the terminus of the aqueduct that carried water to Tarquinia.
- Chiesa e Convento di San Francesco (Via San Leonardo, 10)
- Birthplace of Vincenzo Cardarelli (Via Santa Lucia Filippini)
- San Giuseppe Church (Via San Giuseppe)
- Chiesa della Presentazione e Convento delle Suore Passioniste (Via Giuseppe Garibaldi, 47)
- Cappella della Croce (Via Giuseppe Garibaldi)
- Palazzo Vipereschi, now the seat of the Università Agraria (Via Giuseppe Garibaldi)
- Belvedere Parco delle Mura (Via Ripagretta, 32):