The Torre Campanaria is a tower in the Via Roma in Viterbo. It is one of the most striking towers in a town where there are many such structures.
Torre Campanaria Viterbo
History and description
The Torre Campanaria is a slightly leaning tower in the heart of the oldest part of Viterbo. It was built in 1487 on the foundations of an already existing structure.
The iron ornament at the top of the tower was added at the beginning of the 19th century. The largest of the tower’s bells also dates from this time. It originally hung in the Santa Maria della Verità Church and was forged by Mastro Sante delle Campane in 1452.
The very first bell in Viterbo was placed in the first version of the tower in 1424.
The Torre Campanaria is 44 metres tall.