Torre del Greco is a coastal town south of Naples. It is situated at the foot of Mount Vesuvius and is best known for its beautiful coastline and the red coral found there. Part of this coastline, nicknamed the “Golden Mile”, is lined by multiple 17th and 18th century villas.
Torre del Greco travel guide
The Tourist Office of Torre del Greco (Ufficio Informazioni Turistiche Pro Loco) is located on the Corso Avezzana, 26 – 80059 Torre del Greco (Tel./Fax +39 0818814676 or Tel. +39 0813580050).
The address of the town hall is Via Plebiscito, snc – Torre del Greco (Phone: +39 081 8830111. The Palazzo Baronale is one of the city’s attracions.
The city has its own railway station on the Circumvesuviana line from Naples.
Torre del Greco tourist attractions
The miglia d’oro (“Golden Mile”) is a strip of coastline where wealthy people used to build their villas in the 17th and 18th centuries. The most famous ones are the Villa delle Ginestre and the Villa Prota. The main church is the Santa Croce Basilica. The most interesting museum is the Museo del Corallo.
The San Michele Arcangelo al Colle Church already existed in the 14th century. After being secularized in the early 19th century, the church and convent have been in the hands of a religious fraternity again since 1954. Heavily destroyed in World War II, it is now beautifully restored.
The Santa Croce Basilica is the most important church in Torre del Greco. It houses a statue of the town’s patron saint. Miraculous events are attributed to this statue and it is at the center of an annual procession.
The Santa Maria di Portosalvo Church (“Saint Mary of the Safe Haven”) was erected in 1801 by a businessman who did want a church opposite his own home.
The small San Pietro a Calastro Church was built in the 11th century. The story that this church would have been built on the spot where Saint Peter landed is not based on truth.
The early 20th century Sant’Antonio dei Frati Francescani Church was originally a small chapel dedicated to San Gennaro.
The Santa Maria del Carmine Church is a 16th-century church, partially destroyed several times after volcanic eruptions (Piazza Luigi Palomba, 18).
The Santa Maria del Principio Church is one of the oldest churches in Torre del Greco.
The Santa Maria delle Grazie Church is located near the Porta di Capo Torre gateway to the city, and was built in the early 17th century.
After the city was spared in the volcanic eruption of 1631, the Santa Teresa dei Padri Carmelitani Church was erected outside the city gates. Originally it was dedicated to San Gennaro.
Construction of the Santuario della Madonna del Buon Consiglio Church in the Leopardi district, which at the time was a poor neighborhood, was completed in 1906.
The Cappella della Sacra Famiglia was completed in 1766.
The most beautiful villas
The Villa Prota is one of the Vesuvian Villas. Unfortunately, it can only be viewed from the outside.
The Villa delle Ginestre is among the city’s most famous historic buildings. The room where the Italian poet and philosopher Giacomo Leopardi once stayed is kept intact.
Other well known villas are the Villa de Nicola and the Villa del Cardinale.
The Museo del Corallo (“Coral Museum”) is located next to the Chiesa del Carmine in the school of coral working.
The Palazzo Vallelonga is a 17th-century building along the miglio d’oro. The palace, often damaged by earthquakes, is today the seat of the Banca di Credito Popolare.
The Palazzo Municipale of Torre del Greco is the city’s town hall. However, it was built as the home of King Alfonso of Aragona, who used to host his beloved Lucrezia d’Alagno there. From 1699 it was renamed Palazzo dei Baroni Langella. The palace overlooks the port quarter from a rock.
Towers Torre del Greco
The Tower of Bassano is one of many erected during Barbarian invasions to defend the coastline. It was built between 1559 and 1567. The commissioner was the viceroy of Naples, De Ribera.
A brief history of Torre del Greco
The name of the town comes from an observation tower built by Frederick II and from the many local vineyards where a grape variety called Greco is grown.
The historic center has been reconstructed many times, as a result of the many eruptions of Vesuvius. This older part of the city is located on the coast, while the newer districts are built on the foothills of the volcano.
Already in the 15th century the Torre del Greco was known for coral fishing and slowly the city also became the place where the “red gold” was processed. There are still several workshops in the center where the material is being treated.
How to get there by car
From Naples, take either the A3/E45 or the SS18.