The square tower overlooking Orvieto‘s historic center is called Torre del Moro, or “Tower of the Moor.” From the tower one has a magnificent view of the surrounding countryside. The tower is part of a historic building called Palazzo dei Sette.
Palazzo dei Sette and Torre del Moro Orvieto
Address, opening hours and tickets
Address: Corso Cavour, 87, 05018 Orvieto. Telephone: +39 0763 344567. Opening hours: From March to October from 10:00 to 19:00 (from May to August to 20:00); from September to February from 10:30 to 16:30. Entrance fee: 3.80 Euro: students and 65+: 2 Euro; children under 10: Free.
Palazzo dei Sette Orvieto
The Palazzo dei Sette was originally owned by the Della Terza family, but later came into the hands of the papal state. It served as the seat of the so-called Sette, meaning “Seven,” after the seven art forms, before becoming papal property.
Starting in the late 19th century, the palace served as a post office for a time.
Torre del Moro Orvieto
Built toward the end of the 13th century, the Torre del Moro stands about 47 meters tall. Originally erected to serve as an observation tower, it was used from the 19th century as a water storage place for a new aqueduct.
In 1515, Pope Leo X donated the tower, along with several other buildings, to the city of Orvieto.
Two bells hang in the tower, one of which was made in 1313 and originally hung in the Palazzo del Popolo. In 1876, this clock decorated with the 25 symbols of the arts was moved to its present enclosure.
There is an elevator, but it only goes about halfway up. To enter the observation deck, one must walk up the remaining stairs.