The Via Filippo Ascenzi is a street in the historical center of Viterbo. The street winds from Piazza del Sacrario to Piazza del Plebiscito. The most important building in the street is the Palazzo delle Poste.
Via Filippo Ascenzi Viterbo
History and description
The Via Filippo Ascenzi was laid in the 1930s and the pine trees that shade the street were also planted in that period. At the time, however, it was called Via Littoria.
The Palazzo delle Poste was built in 1935 by the architect Cesare Bazzani, who was also responsible for the building that houses the Galleria Nazionale d’Arte Moderna e Contemporanea in Rome.
Walking down the steps near this building to the Piazza della Pescheria, you will reach the ancient Santa Maria della Salute Church, with its beautiful marble portal. The only interesting element of its interior is the tomb of the notary who had the church built in the Middle Ages.
Although the façade of the Palazzo del Podesta is located in the Piazza del Plebiscito, the entrance is in the Via Ascenzi.
Filippo Ascenzi (1893-1943) was a military man, politician and engineer. He was responsible for the construction of multiple roads in Viterbo and also to and from the city. Although he was one of the first members of the Fascist party, in 1960, at the initiative of an anti-fascist ex-partisan fighter, the Via Filippo Ascenzi was dedicated to him.