Until the end of the 19th century, when the Via dell’Indipendenza was constructed, the Via Galliera was the most prestigious street in Bologna. It was also the main access road for those entering the city from the north. In those days, the street was nicknamed the “Canal Grande of Bologna”. The street is flanked by a number of ancient buildings, most of which used to belong to the city’s aristocracy.
Via Galliera Bologna
Attractions: Palazzo dal Monte (n. 3), Palazzo Felicini (n. 14), San Benedetto Church, Madonna della Pioggia Church (Via Riva di Reno intersection), Santa Maria Maggiore Church, Palazzo Conforti, Casa Bellei, Palazzo Aldrovandi Montanari, .
History and description
On August 12, 1547, a building belonging to one Lippo Ghisilieri was blown up in the street. This happened because of a vendetta and the culprit was Antonio Massini, who also lost his life. A servant who had committed treason was hanged and his remains were fed to the dogs.
What to see
San Benedetto Church
The façade of the San Benedetto Church is today on the Via dell’Indipendenza side, but used to be on the Via Galliera. This change was made in 1892, when the construction of the new street was completed. The apse therefore makes a bit of an odd impression.
Madonna della Pioggia Church
At the intersection of the Via Galliera and the Via Riva di Reno you will see a beautiful square with a church. Built in 1204, it is called San Bartolemeo di Reno Church (or Madonna della Pioggia Church).
Santa Maria Maggiore Church
As one walks further, on the right side of the street one sees the Santa Maria Maggiore Church and the 18th century Palazzo Aldrovandi Montanari.
Palazzo Conforti and Casa Bellei
A little further on, the Palazzo Conforti and the Casa Bellei (aka Casa delle Tuate) face each other. One of the capitals of the latter building features a portrait of John II, the last Bentivoglio to rule the city.
Other interesting buildings on the street are the Palazzo Felicini, which dates from the 15th century, and the Palazzo Dal Monte (n. 3). This was designed by Andrea da Formigione and was completed in 1529. Today it is called Palazzo dell’Università.