The Via Mergellina in Naples starts at the Piazza Jacoppo Sannazaro and runs more or less parallel to the Via Francesco Caracciolo until both streets merge into the Via Posillipo. Originally the street used to run along the coast.
Via Mergellina Naples
History and description
Mergellina originally was a beach with a fishing village, just like the Borgo Antico di Santa Lucia. The village was constructed around the Santa Maria del Parto Church, which had been founded in 1524 by Iacopo Sannazaro.
Toward the end of the 18th century wealthy aristocrats started building big mansions in Mergellina.
In the 19th century, land was reclaimed from the sea and in 1872 the Via Caracciolo was constructed and became the new Lungomare.
What to see
The Fountain of the Lion stands at the beginning of the street.
The Fontana del Marinaretto is located between the Via Mergellina and the Via Caracciolo.
The Santa Maria del Parto Church was the nucleus of the original fishing village. It still exists and preserves the tomb of Iacopo Sannazaro.
Public transportation: Metro: Mergellina.