The Via Moretto runs through the southern part of Brescia‘s historic center. The street is named after local painter Alessandro Bonvicino, who was nicknamed “Moretto.” There are no fewer than six churches and several historic buildings along this street, which is also punctuated by three squares.
Via Moretto Brescia
History and Description
After the expansion of the city walls in the 13th century, the Via Moretto became an important street. Between the 16th and 18th centuries, numerous mansions and several churches were therefore built there.
The Palazzo Averoldi (n. 12) was built in 1544. It features two courtyards, one of which has a portico along the garden. Some rooms within the palace are frescoed by Romanino and Lattanzio Gambara.
The building at n. 27 is the Palazzo Polini Guaineri. In the courtyard of this building there are a number of statues.
The San Lorenzo Church, built in the 18th century, is at n. 55.
The Palazzo Poncarali Carpani Glisenti (n.64) was built in the 17th century, but extensively restored in 1839.
On Via Moretto 75 stands the Sant’Alessandro Church, characterized by a Corinthian façade. Near the first altar on the right is an “Annunciation of the Lord” by Jacopo Bellini.
The building at n.78 is the Palazzo Martinengo Colleoni.
The Palazzo Avogadro Bettoni Cazzago (n. 84) was built in the 17th century, but has undergone several changes over the years.