Via Rizzoli Bologna

Via Rizzoli Bologna

The Via Francesco Rizzoli is a main shopping street in Bologna, connecting the city’s famous Asinelli and Garisenda towers to the Piazza Maggiore.

History of the Via Francesco Rizzoli

The street already existed in Roman times (when Bologna was called Bononia) and was part of the decumanus maximus. It was also included in the consular road Via Aemilia, between present day Rimini and Piacenza.

In the 13th century, there used to be a large grain market. Being located between two other markets in the Piazza Maggiore and the Piazza di Porta Ravegnana, the street came to be called Mercato di Mezzo (“Middle Market”).

Toward the end of the Middle Ages, the market was moved and the wooden porticoes lining the street demolished.

Present day Via Rizzoli dates back to the early 20th century. Its construction led to the demolition of several historic buildings.

Nowadays, the street is lined by prestigious shops.

Francesco Rizzoli (1809-1880) was a surgeon and politician, who donated his wealth to the city of Bologna for the construction of an orthopedic hospital.