The Via di San Nicola da Tolentino runs more or less parallel to the Via Barberini and connects the Piazza Barberini and the Via di Santa Susanna. Attractions include the church of the same name and the Palazzo del Collegio Germanico Ungarico.
Via di San Nicola da Tolentino Rome
History and description
The name of the street derives from the 16th century San Nicola di Tolentino Church at the corner of Via and Salita di San Nicola di Tolentino.
Next to the church is a convent, which was run by the Baptist nuns, after the Barefoot Agostinians had left. This lasted until 1883, when Pope Leo XIII gave the church to the Pontifical Armenian College and it became the official church of the Armenian community in Rome.
The building on Via di San Nicola da Tolentino n. 13 is the Palazzo del Collegio Germanico Ungarico. It was built in 1939 by the architect Giovannozzi and houses students from Germany, Switzerland and Austria. The double entrance is flanked by six columns. Above the balcony is the coat of arms of the college. The Hotel Costanzi used to be located in this this spot.
At the corner of the building (the intersection of Via and Salita di S.Nicola da Tolentino) there is an aedicula with a “Madonna and Child”.