The Viale San Telemaco is a walking path through the Colle Oppio Park in Rome. It connects the Viale della Domus Aurea with the Via Fortunato Mizzi. From this street you can see ruins of multiple ancient Roman monuments.
Viale San Telemaco Rome
The Parco del Colle Oppio is open from sunrise to sunset.
History and description
The Viale San Telemaco is named after the 4th century martyr whose martyrdom put an end to gladiatorial fights in the Colosseum. This Telemacus was a monk and originally came from the East. This happened after he attempted to climb into the arena and try to separate two fighting combatants.
Telemacus was then stoned to death by the public, but Emperor Honorius was so impressed by his martyrdom that he decided to abolish gladiatorial fights. The last gladiatorial fight took place on Jan. 1, 404.
What to see
- A small rose garden.
- The statue of Alfredo Oriani, a 19th century writer and historian who is considered a precursor of fascism and whose books were included on a list of writings banned by the Vatican in 1940.
- The ruins of the Baths of Trajan.
- The ruins of the Baths of Titus.
- The ruins of the Domus Aurea.
- The two Fontane dei Petali (“Fountains of the Flower Petals”).
- A Nymphaeum.