What is nowadays known under the name Villa Abegg in Turin, used to be the old vineyard of “Madama Reale”. The villa is located outside the center, along the San Vito – Revigliasca road. Today it is owned by the municipality and is used as a study center.
Villa Abegg Turin
Address: Strada Comunale di San Vito – Revigliasco 1-37 – 1033 Torino. Phone: +39 011 011999. Opening times park: May 1st till September 30th, saturdays and Sundays from 09.00 till 19.00. Entrance fee: .
History and description
The building, which used to be known as Vigna di Madam Reale, is directly connected to the garden and the park and was originally part of the vineyard of Cristina di Francia (the “royal lady” of the old name.
Construction of the villa lasted from 1622 to 1652. The architects were successively Michelangelo Morello, Andrea Costaguta and Amedeo di Castellamonte.
The vineyard overlooks the river and is located in a lowland area at the foot of the San Vito hill.
After the villa fell into the hands of the missionaries of San Vicenzo, they had the building destroyed (in the years between 1751 and 1753). The pavilion was the only building that was not razed to the ground, although it too had to undergo reconstruction.
The garden takes advantage of its natural position in the valley, combined with artificial terraces.