The Villa Borghese is located between the cities of Anzio and Nettuno. It owes its nickname Villa Bell’Aspetto to its location: From the hill on which it was built there is a magnificent view of the sea.
Villa Borghese Anzio
History and description
The Villa Borghese was built in 1647. Before it became the property of the family after which it is named, the building used to be owned by the Costaguti (until 1818) and the Torlonia. The Borghese family still owns the villa.
The structure is located within a large park with ancient trees. The park is private property.
In 1925, Benito Mussolini stayed at the Villa Borghese.
In 1944, a complex of corridors was excavated under the Villa, used as headquarters by a U.S. Army unit during World War II.
The park was created in the 18th century and is planted with oak and pine trees, as well as other species.