The Villa Comunale of Salerno was designed by the architect Casalbore and inaugurated in 1874. After a long period of neglect, starting from the 1960s, the Villa was completely restored in the 1930s.
Villa Comunale Salerno
History and description
Before the Villa Comunale as it can now be admired even existed, there was a tree-lined lane, leading to the Fontana del Tullio, which still graces the garden. It is not in its original spot anymore, which was closer to the Lungomare and to the (now no longer in existence) western city gate of Salerno.
In the center a raised area was created, where concerts and other cultural events were held. In those days, the villa was the principal meeting-place of well-to-do Salerno.
After World War II, many new trees (including non-local ones) were planted in the garden.
Between the 1960s and the 1990s, the Villa was badly maintained. Vandalism reigned and maintenance was scarce.
In the 1990s, new plants, mostly of Mediterranean origin, including rare specimens, were placed in the gardens. The green area was expanded and the fountain and the various statues restored.
What to see
A statue of Giovanni Nicotera, who was Minister of the Interior in 1876, by Alfonso Balzanico, was placed in the Villa toward the end of the 19th century. During World War II, the statue was destroyed in order to use the material for making bullets. In the 1960s, Corrado Petroni made a new statue, depicting Nicotera tearing up his own death sentence.
Nicotera had also participated in the “Expedition of the 300”, also known as the “Expedition of Sapri” in 1857. The leader of the expedition was Carlo Pisacane, who also had a monument dedicated to him in the Villa Comunale.
Address: Via Roma – Salerno.
Opening times: From 08:00 till midnight.
Ticket price: Free.
(Note that opening times and/or admission may be subject to change.)