The Villa Pignatelli is an early 19th century building in Naples that is now being used as a museum, the Pignatelli Museum. The wealthy Rothchilds used to own the mansion, which also often hosts temporary exhibitions.
Villa Pignatelli Museum Naples
The address of the Museo Diego Aragona Pignatelli Cortes is Via Riviera di Chiaia 200 – 80121 Naples (tel. +39 817612356). Bus: 128, C24. Opening hours: 09.30 to 17.00. Closed: Tuesdays, January 1, December 25.. Entrance fee: 5 Euros (included nearby Museo delle Carozze). Adolescents under 18 from an EU country: Free. First Sunday of the month: free.
History of Villa Pignatelli Museum Naples
The Villa Pignatelli was designed by Pietro Valente in 1826. The commissioner was Ferdinand Acton, a minister at the court of King Ferdinand IV.
In 1841, the Rothchilds took over the building. They had it enlarged it before reselling it to the Duke of Monteleone, Diego Aragona Pignatelli Cortes (1867).
Eventually, the Duke’s granddaughter, Rosina Pignatelli, was to donate the entire palace, including its contents, to the Italian State in 1955.
In addition to many artworks and antique pieces of furniture, the museum’s collection includes some rather unexpected objects, such as royal whips. Many of the paintings and busts come from the collection of the Banco di Napoli.
The collection of the Banco di Napoli is housed in the basement of the Villa, while on the first floor constantly changing exhibitions are organized.
Villa and Museo Pignatelli highlights
The Salotto Verde (“Green Room”) houses a porcelain collection.
The smoking room, which is entirely covered with leather.
The painting Agar e l’Angelo (“Hagar and the Angel”) by Francesco Solimena (late 17th century).
Where to go next
Next to the villa is the Museo delle Carozze (“Carriage Museum”), though it is currently closed.
The museum is located next to of the Villa Comunale park.