The Arsenal of Verona was constructed around the middle of the 19th century. At the time the Austrians were in power and wanted to turn the city into a military stronghold. Nowadays the former Arsenal is property of the city itself and parts of it function as a public park.
Address, opening hours and entrance fee
Address: Piazza Arsenale – 37126 Verona. Opening hours: From 08.30 till 21.00 (in winter till 18.00).
History and description
The Franz Josef Arsenal was built by the Austrian rulers. Construction took from 1854 to 1861. They decided to build the Arsenal in Verona because of its strategic position amongst several important roads.
The Austrians wanted to turn Verona into the most important defensive city in the area, which included the present Veneto and Lombardia. The Arsenal was part of a more extensive improvement of the military structures in the city. This included construction of the Castel San Pietro.
After Veneto had been included in the new Italian kingdom, the Arsenal continued being used for military purposes.
This did not change until after World War II.
The 60,000 square meter complex consists of nine buildings, separated by a number of courtyards, roads and squares, protected by a huge wall. The building style is similar to the of the Royal Arsenal of Vienna.
Since 1995 the Arsenal is property of the city of Verona. The city intends to turn it into a public park. At the moment parts of the Arsenal are used as a parking lot and other parts as a children’s playground. Some of its buildings sometimes host exhibitions.